For a super quick and inexpensive vegan chocolate cake experience. The original recipe is taken from bianca zaptka but since this site is a bit overloaded with prose text, I decided to write down the key points for this cake.
- wet ingredients:
- 240 ml vegetable based milk (oat, soy, etc)
- 100 g apple puree
- 1 tablespoon cidar vinegar
- 100 ml oil
- dry ingredients
- 200 g flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 150 g sugar
- 6 g backing powder
- teaspoon of salt
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 240 ml coconut milk
- 175 g bittersweet/dark chocolate
- 2 big bowl
- preheat oven at 180°C (without air circulation)
- buttered springform pan (20 cm)
- For the first part, mix all wet ingredients together meaning: 240 ml vegetable based milk, 100g apple puree, 1 tablespoon cidar vinegar and 100 ml oil
- Now in another bowl mix together 200g flour, 50g cocoa powder, 150 g sugar, 6 g baking powder.
- Afterwards (if possible use a sieve to gradually) put together the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient mixture.
- Mix the ingredients for about 30 seconds until the liquid dough starts to feel slightly heavier to mix. For me it amounted to 120 whisks. It is important to pay attention to the time to control the gluten development since this is essential for the consistency of the resulting cake
- Pour the mixture into your spring form and bake it for 50 minutes
- While it bakes, coarsely mince the 175g of chocolate. Heat up the 240 ml coconut milk just before boiling. Put the chocolate into a bowl, pour the coconut milk onto it and mix until homogeneous.
- After the cake finished baking, leave both frosting and cake outside for a while to let them cool down ( around 1h).
- The original recipe instructs you to let the frosting cool down until solid but i like to just pour it over the cake.
- Garnish as you like